At Dilworth Coffee, everyone knows we focus on serving you an outstanding cup of coffee. Sure, that begins with the highest quality beans, but equally important in making great coffee is the quality water that is used to brew it.
That’s because hot H2O is the solvent that extracts the flavors and oils out of coffee beans. A cup of coffee is about 98.75 percent water, leaving only 1.25 percent for the soluble plant matter; so, it’s easy to see why great coffee takes quality water. All the countless hours of work by farmers, roasters and numerous others involved in getting coffee to market are for naught if, in the end, you end up with a beverage brewed with bad water.
It sounds simple to say water is just two hydrogen molecules for every one of oxygen, but the chemistry of water is actually very complex. Its makeup can change seasonally and because of other factors such as variable water sources, treatments and environmental variables.
Water also has many gases and minerals dissolved in it, in addition to floating bacteria and dirt. A simple charcoal filter will remove things like dirt and odor but is not much help when it comes to mineral content.
Much the same way it pulls flavors from coffee, water extracts minerals as it moves through the ground or in pipes. Some of those minerals, such as iron, can produce bad coffee tastes or colors. Some, on the other hand, can be good; coffee just tastes better when brewed with water that has a fair amount of calcium dissolved in it.
One measurement the Specialty Coffee Association uses to count the number of minerals dissolved in water is by measuring the total dissolved solids (TDS). A TDS reading is partially a measure of whether water is what is considered soft or hard. Things such as iron, chlorine and chlorinates should not be present in a reading. If water does not fall into the desired range, the solution may be a water softening or filtration system. So we are very careful about making sure all Dilworth Coffee stores have high quality water. Filtering systems are put in place to make sure it always meets the highest standards.
With its thousands of different flavors and chemicals (such as caffeine), coffee is an extremely complex beverage. No good extraction of those desirable tastes is possible without quality water. That’s why we always do coffee justice and make sure our water is held to the same high standard as our outstanding beans. Visit your local Dilworth Coffee to enjoy beverages made with both.
For more useful information about properly brewing coffee, please call 866 849 1682 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.